Monday 2 February 2015

COMMON IDENTITY: “United we Stand, Divided we Fall!!”

As I sit here trying to put pen to paper, to describe my thoughts and explain how I feel, I realize none of it matters. There are bigger and greater problems, that unless we have solutions for, we need to keep exercising our minds until we have something tangible to give rather than complain and curse; pointing fingers, while it gets worse. What good will my complaint be when the ones to whom I bring my worries to are unnerved by my plight—greedy and consumed with self-gain and power. Why can’t I along with my brother and sister rise and March, do what we can; Millions against 100’s we can stand and be the change. We are educated and claim to know better, we see what is wrong, know what to do but our courage is cut short, no sense of urgency, no real reason—to stand, to fight; common identity lost in regions we hold so tight, forgetting that we are first Nigerian!

“I pledge to Nigeria my country, to be faithful Loyal and Honest, to serve Nigeria with all my strength to defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory, so help me God.”


Are these just words that we utter without giving thought to what they mean? We need to act on what we pledge, use our talents and gifts for what is right. For now, this is what I believe I can do, write and show how we can…come to think of it, I am doing exactly what I just accused us all of doing because if I don’t act or see that I am Baga, Chibok, Maiduguri, Bauchi, Kano, Kaduna, Jos, Abuja, Kogi, Anambra, Enugu, Lagos, Ondo… Nigeria and play my part, then I am useless. 


Play my part, give when I can, open my doors to refugees; if I can’t go myself, donate money and resources to those who can. But while I am where I reside, build my community, work with integrity, create jobs when I can, build ideas, invest in those that are innovative enough think of a greater Nigeria. It starts with me, it starts now, and it starts here. What can I do? Lets see, I am a student, working part-time, not too much of an income well maybe I can teach in schools, create a support group for girls, teach them charisma, confidence, self-worth and the will to not settle. Share my experiences, travels, why they were so great and what I learned. Show that together we can draw from lessons and dreams and create a nation we want; one that we dream about, that will serve our children and us. Teach that the seeds we sow are not just for our pockets or to feed our immediate needs or desires, but to create something sustainable for our brothers and sisters, all of them. Call out, “WA, ZO, BIA,” together, we can join hands and make Nigeria better. Together we can put aside, tribalism, religion, factions, political groups, differences in opinion and work TOGETHER for our common identity. I mean think about it, what else do we have, without Nigeria, who are we? What happens to our history, the legacy, and tales that have added to who we are, the experiences we so cherish? Let's preserve our identity, let’s protect us, let’s protect we. We should work together to foster a sense of citizenship, patriotism, and common identity.

“I pledge to Nigeria my country to be Faithful, Loyal and Honest. To serve Nigeria with all my strength, to defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory, so help me God. “


Be a Nigerian first! Work to preserve it.

I pledge to write as much as I can, essays, poetry ... to inspire hope. I pledge to give more of myself, I pledge to not only write songs of hope, peace and love (as I have written many, lol) but to release them and share my gift, fostering hope and serving as a reminder to us all. I pledge to pay homage to those who came before me, those who used their gifts for the common good: Onyeka Onwenu, Fela, King Sunny Ade... to name a few. I pledge to use all platforms available to me, to speak well of Nigeria, to raise awareness inspiring common identity, to showcase possible change and inspire all those in my circle to also do their part, and inspire those in theirs to do the same. I pledge to do all I can, where I am, as often as the opportunity presents itself. I pledge to play my part in making Nigeria one, reducing some of the problems and being a part of the change. What contribution will you make? What will you do for the NIGERIA you dream? #IPledgeChallenge!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment